Impact of introduction of laparoscopic surgery on management of unresolved intra-abdominal malignancies in a West African hospital
Department of Surgery, Obafemi Awolowo University, Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals Complex, Ile-Ife, Nigeria
Background: Intra-abdominal malignancies often pose diagnostic problems to surgeons in resource-challenged centers such as ours due to limitations in modern imaging and other facilities. This prompted the adoption of laparoscopy in our hospital as an adjunctive tool in diagnosing these conditions. Method: Pre- and per-operative data of consecutive cases of clinically unresolved advanced intra-abdominal tumors subjected to laparoscopy from January 2009 through June 2013 were reviewed. Anatomic diagnosis and tissue biopsies were carried out during the procedures. Results: Of the 152 patients seen with intra-abdominal tumors, 74 (48.7 %) had advanced conditions that could not be resolved clinically. Of these, 33 (44.6 %) were able to afford and had computed tomography (CT), scan while the remaining (N = 41; 55.4 %) less endowed only had an ultrasound scan. This cohort underwent laparoscopic evaluation, and biopsies confirmed the following: 27 (36.5 %) metastatic adenocarcinomas, 12 (16.2 %) primary hepatic malignancies, 11 (14.9 %) cases each of lymphomas and colonic adenocarcinomas, 4 (5.4 %) gastrointestinal stromal tumors, 3 (4.1 %) pancreatic carcinomas, 2 (2.7 %) cases each of carcinoid tumors and abdominal tuberculosis, and one case each of schistosomiasis and HIV-related Kaposi's sarcoma. Additionally, 26 (35.1 %) had ascites, while 29 (39.1 %) had peritoneal surface malignancies. With local adaptations and improvisations, laparoscopy was cheaper than an abdominal CT scan in our setting, with the additional benefit of obtaining tissue diagnosis to institute treatment. Conclusion: Although laparoscopy is commonly used for staging intra-abdominal tumors, we found it useful in complementing clinical diagnosis and attaining histopathological confirmation in a setting where access to and funding of modern imaging is limited. © 2014 Société Internationale de Chirurgie.
Abdominal Neoplasms; adult; adverse effects; aged; cancer staging; carcinoma; computer assisted tomography; developing country; economics; female; Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors; hospital; human; laparoscopy; lymphoma; male; middle aged; Nigeria; pathology; sarcoma; Abdominal Neoplasms; Adult; Aged; Carcinoma; Developing Countries; Female; Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors; Hospitals; Humans; Laparoscopy; Lymphoma; Male; Middle Aged; Neoplasm Staging; Nigeria; Sarcoma; Tomography, X-Ray Computed